Learning the rules and regulations as internationals for visa & residence allowances can be a daunting procedure. We want to make this journey easier for you therefore we have created this one page document to refer to with your visa queries. 


Am I allowed to work as a student?

You are allowed to work a maximum of 20 hours per week as a student. In case of any special cases one has to get in touch with the Studentenwerk.


What is the visa & residence situation after I finish my degree?

After graduation in Germany, your residence permit can be extended for up to 18 months to enable you

  • to find a job that is suitable for your degree,
  • to pursue any gainful employment, i.e. internship or trainee position,
  • to complete an internship abroad (< 6 month stay outside Germany!*) or
  • to work independently.


To do this, you must apply for an extension of your residence permit at the responsible foreigner’s authority directly after completing** your studies. In order to obtain the residence permit you must also prove that you can provide for yourself.


Both during and directly after the 18 months of your job search, you can start a doctoral or master’s degree. You must apply for a residence permit again for the purpose of your studies***.


When am I eligible for a blue card?

The EU blue card for Germany is a residence title providing an evidence for the legal stay of a citizen from a non-EU-country in an EU- member state for the purpose of working. 

If you currently receive a gross salary of at least 50,800 Euro/year or, in the case of so-called “lacking occupations” a gross salary of at least 39,624 Euro/year. Lacking occupations are the occupations that are high in demand in Germany. Here is a list for your reference.




Further information


*Any stay outside Germany that lasts longer than six months automatically leads to the expiry of the residence permit, unless a longer period has been expressly agreed in writing with the Immigrations Department.


**As soon as the university has confirmed in writing that you have passed the last examination your study is regarded as completed. It does not matter when you were matriculated or when you receive your certificate. It is therefore essential that you keep the cover letter and/or envelope with the postmark confirming that you have passed the examination.


***If you do not complete your Master’s degree or doctorate, you will not have any remaining months of the “old” 18 months to look for a job.